Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Origami Fraction Flower

Hi Guys!

So I created a fun way to teach my students about fractions, by integrating arts and crafts.
You know those cool Origami figures you've seen almost everywhere? Well I wanted to teach my students about fractions, as well as teach them how to make Origami flowers.

I created a prezi with step by step instructions.

http://prezi.com/k4_o335yv8bu/creating-fraction-focused-flowers/

This activity also correlates with Common Core. What is Common Core you ask?

"The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy."


This lesson meets the following common core objectives:

CCSS (3.OA.2) I can understand division by thinking how one group can be divided into smaller groups.

(3.NF.1) I can show and understand that fractions are equal parts of a whole.

(3.NF.3) I can explain in words or pictures how two fractions can sometimes be equal.

(3.NF.3) I can compare fractions by reasoning about their size.

(3.NF. 3) I can show whole numbers as fractions. (3=3/1).


(3.NF.3) I can recognize fractions that are equal to one whole.


http://www.corestandards.org/




This activity allows my students to think outside of the traditional math book. Each petal represents a part of the fraction that will eventually create a whole part.

                                                         Image Source: Pinterest
                                                         Image Source: Pinterest
                                                        Image Source: Pinterest
                                                        Image Source: Pinterest
                                                       Image Source: Pinterest
Image Source: Pinterest
Materials used for this cool activity are:

Assorted square origami paper

Glue

Simple yet innovative.

You can also find this cool activity on my website under the "more" category.

Take Care
~Hafiza



No comments:

Post a Comment